new user

General feedback, questions and feature requests.
saldiamond

new user

Post by saldiamond »

just saying hi.

downloaded the demo version a few days ago and was very impressed.
my nord micro has been sitting boxed in the closet since moving a few years ago and i was missing experimenting with modular synthesis.

not that i was ever any good at it.
plus i've forgotten most of what i learned.

anyway, spent some time creating a patch and was liking the sound and then realized i was using the demo and wouldn't be able to save it :)
so rendered to audio and went directly back to the site and etc...

so now i'll be messing around making patches instead of finishing anything.
thanks for that.

also thanks to those that have loaded their patches in the stuff section.
really helps to dismantle them and figure out what does what as i'm sure you know.
hopefully that section continues to grow.

also, can anyone point me to some more resources for learning modular programming or more resources for karmafx specifically?
most of the things i've seen are either over my head or too basic.
karmafx
Site Admin

Re: new user

Post by karmafx »

Hi and welcome! :-)

Glad you enjoy the synth! I'm sure you can find quite a few books on modular synthesis, but otherwise dismantling existing patches or building your own from scratch is a good way to learn I believe.

KarmaFX Synth specific, the 90 page User's manual that comes with the registered version also contains some very basic patch tutorials. Mainly however, it gives a general introduction to the theory behind modular synthesis plus contains an essential reference section of all the modules to help you unleash the power of each and every module.

That said, you can get pretty far by playing around with the demo, so I encourage you to keep trying it out. I'm sure you will get inspired and produce some interesting sounds, and who knows, maybe learn a thing or two in the process.
saldiamond

Post by saldiamond »

oh maybe i wasn't clear.

i bought it immediately after messing with the demo :)

it really is a nice program.
and the manual is indeed helpful.

guess i need to just dive deeper into the patches.

still have my micro mod so i will also try to recreate the patches i worked on for it.

thanks again.
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

Great!! :-)

Yes, the manual should be the first place to look, but as said the tutorials there are very basic.
If you have trouble creating more advanced patches, please ask questions here in the forum or directly to me. Stuff like that could help refine the manual.
It sounds interesting with the micro mod recreation. I'd be interested in hearing how those two compare.

Have fun using the Synth! 8-)
saldiamond

Post by saldiamond »

i love the micro and learned a lot from it.
there are a million patches for it floating around and i've made a bunch myself.

downsides are limited poly, no fx, 3 digit display, and it needs 2 seperate midi ports to edit/play.

right now, karmafx is a better fit for me.

i love the internal effects and i need to use a computer to edit the micro anyway.
so much easier to integrate with my current workflow.

when time permits, i will pull it out of the closet and post some mp3s of some patches in comparison to karmafx.

also if i come up with some decent patches, i will post them in the stuff section.
would love to see that section take off.