How do you stop a module from recieving note-pitch?

General feedback, questions and feature requests.
Argitoth

How do you stop a module from recieving note-pitch?

Post by Argitoth »

I created a patch where one osc modulates the other like an FM synth, but I want the modulating osc not to change frequency with different notes. How is that done?
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

I don't think you can, really...osc will always respond to notepitch if it is in the signal chain. how about using an lfo or hfo for the modulation ? or is there some special reason it has to be an osc?
Argitoth

Post by Argitoth »

Special reason for it being an osc? Because using the additive osc as a frequency modulation source IS SO AWESOME!!! Because slightly different shapes changes the tone completely.
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

ok, I see your point. :D

Currently this is not possible. I think that there might be an undocumented approach to design a patch that will work, but it depends on the order in which you create the modules, and that is far from intuitive.

One way, I could get around this issue is to introduce a new modulation module that would take an incoming osc and produce a signal at a specific frequency. Or I could simply allow the LFO/HFO modules to accept an incoming Osc. How does that sound?
Argitoth

Post by Argitoth »

I really like the idea of making a new module that accepts incoming oscs. So it would be a module that decides what frequency the oscillator oscillates at?

...Actually, that's what I thought the current Frequency module was for. Maybe you just have to tweak the Frequency module?
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

Good point... The frequency module would do the job nicely with a frequency-override option of some sort!

The problem is that any module connected before a controller will use its frequency signal. What you want is to disregard this signal and use a different signal set by e.g. the frequency module, right?. That is so easy to do, so consider it done. 8)
Argitoth

Post by Argitoth »

yes! frequency set by the Frequency module!

awesome!