FR: Drum Machine support

General feedback, questions and feature requests.
Argitoth

FR: Drum Machine support

Post by Argitoth »

This is a bit of an extensive request so I don't expect you to consider it for the early future, but it would be awesome if you could design entire drum machines in KarmaFX.

Needed features:
-Step sequencer matrix with pattern bank (with midi-note controlled banks) to trigger midi notes
-A module that controls the range of midi notes that trigger an oscillator
-Multiple outputs (at least 6 for Kick, Snare, Hat, and 3 Misc). 8 would be even better.

Unless you can already do some of this and I'm just a noob? However I did read through the entire manual (quickly however). If you could add a module that limited midi notes then it would be a big (hopefully easy) first step to a drum machine.

Is it ok that I'm spamming the forum with all my requests? :o My goal is to just lay down everything I can think of.
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

hey ! FR's are always welcome !
not really sure I understand exactly what you want though...

It is possible to use the synth as a drum machine, using drum samples that is:
Fire up a sampler, set it to multi mode and load an sf2 drumkit (you can roll your own, but this is easier). Send the output into an amplifier and then into a looped pattern module.

You can then trigger the samples using the pattern. To get multiple outputs (ie. kick and hihat) you could add more layers of sampler/pattern modules.

How is this different from what your'e after?
Argitoth

Post by Argitoth »

Ohhh, some explanation is needed.

By outputs, I meant to the host, and by drum machine I meant synthesized percussion. For example, I want to create a sine osc and two nosie generators. I attatch frequency controllers and envelopes to the 3 oscs. The sine envelope sounds like a kick, the other two noise generators sound like snare and hat. Now I add a module to the sine and nosie generators that limits each osc to certain keys.

Code: Select all

---KARMA FX---
OSC-(C1-B2)         OSC-(C2-B3)       OSC-(C3-B4) 
   |                   |                 |
PITCH-ENV           PITCH-ENV         PITCH-ENV  
 OUT 1               OUT 2             OUT 3
                   ---HOST---
  IN 1                IN 2              IN 3
(SYNTH KICK)      (SYNTH HAT)      (SYNTH SNARE)

Now I can sequence a synthesized kick, hat, and snare in my host.
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

ok. currently, the only way to get something remotely similar to this is to
use three pattern modules (one for each osc) and do the sequencing in the patch instead of in the host.

however, adding that range filtering feature in a future version would be pretty easy... still I'm not sure why you want multiple outputs so the mixing is on the host side?
Argitoth

Post by Argitoth »

karmafx wrote:I'm not sure why you want multiple outputs so the mixing is on the host side?
It's not so important. I'd just use it to, for example, give snare a little more external reverb than the hat, and give the kick no external reverb. But I can of course use the internal KarmaFX reverb for that.

The most important is the midi filtering, though. With that, I'd be a happy camper and would want to design a drum machine patch outright!
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

Argitoth wrote:It's not so important. I'd just use it to, for example, give snare a little more external reverb than the hat, and give the kick no external reverb. But I can of course use the internal KarmaFX reverb for that.!
ok! To get the same effect you could of course use multiple instances of the synth, but I understand what you're after.
Argitoth wrote:The most important is the midi filtering, though. With that, I'd be a happy camper and would want to design a drum machine patch outright!
right!...I like that feature too. No promises, but I'll look into it. 8)